Bratislava [Hungarian: Pozsony, German: Pressburg]
Žižkova 36, Bratislava
Bratislava- Old Town
Date of Construction:
Central Registry of Monument Fund:
The Orthodox cemetery, which is still in use, is situated above the river Danube not far from the Christian cemetery of St. Nicolas. Plot for the cemetery was bought by Chevra Kadisha in the year 1845 and since then several times extended. The latest graves are located in the back part. First funeral took place in 1846. The terraces of the cemetery are cut into its sloped terrain. On one of lower ones, approximately in the middle of the cemetery grounds, old graves of the community leaders and Kohanim are located. An outstanding contemporary writer Juraj Spitzer (1919-1995) is also buried here. Inscriptions are mostly in Hebrew, only names and surnames are with Latin transliterations. On simple shaped gravestones symbols of blessing hand, jars and Shield of David are visible.