Bratislava [Hungarian: Pozsony, German: Pressburg]
Žižkova , Bratislava
Date of Construction:
Central Registry of Monument Fund:
A Neolog cemetery established in 1873 is located approximately 300 m westwards from the Orthodox cemetery, in the direction to Karlova Ves. The cemetery is well maintained and still in use. The latest graves are next to the entrance gate. Several outstanding members of local Jewish community and Slovak cultural life buried here, architects Eugen Bárkány (1885-1967) and Artur Szalatnai-Slatinský (1891-1962), painter Imrich Weiner-Krá? (1901-1978) and also director and play writer Leopold Lahola (1918-1968), etc. The gravestones are richly decorated with art-nouveau and classicist designs. Some of them are monumental and fenced by a massive ironwork chain, other take form of draped column fragments. Apart from various floral and geometric decorations, traditional symbols like blessing hands of Kohanim, Levi’s jar and Shield of David occur.