Bratislava [Hungarian: Pozsony, German: Pressburg]
Petržalka Holocaust Memorial
Nábrežná , Bratislava
Holocaust memorial, mass grave
Date of Construction:
Central Registry of Monument Fund:
cemetery open to the public, section XII
In the last months of World War II, the Nazis set up a labor camp in the former Semperit factory (today Matador) in Petržalka [Engerau] near Bratislava, where hundreds of Hungarian Jews suffered in inhuman living conditions building the so-called “Südostwall“, a defense line aimed to stop the approaching Soviet Army. The camp had several branches and the prisoners were accommodated in cellars and attics of various buildings in the area, including the Leberfinger Inn. With the advancing front, the Camp was liquidated on March 29, 1945 (the night before the Good Friday). The Jews had to march to Bad Deutsch Altenburg, those who had no more strength to walk, were killed on the spot. Their bodies were found along the road to Bad Deutsch Altenburg and buried in mass graves on local cemeteries. The largest one, containing 497 bodies is located at the Petržalka [Engerau] Cemetery. The memorial at the Petržalka Cemetery includes thirteen individual burial plots of victims that could be identified according to their documents, when the mass grave was exhumed by the Czechoslovak authorities. As the murderers were mainly Austrian nationals, the trials with them took place in Vienna in 1945-1955 and are known as Engerau-Processes, an important milestone in the Austrian post-War justice. The memorial at the cemetery is maintained by the Jewish Community of Bratislava from its own funds. No support from public funds, either Slovak or Austrian, has been provided.