Synagoga Slovaca Database
 Huncovce [Hungarian: Hunfalva, German: Hunsdorf]
Code: S1P0501 
Monument: Synagogue 
Location: Huncovce 467, Huncovce 
District: Kežmarok 
Present Use: textile storage 
Date of Construction: 1825 
Architect: unknown 
Central Registry of Monument Fund: 883 
This important Jewish community was once a center of the Jewish life in the Spiš Region and the site of the famous yeshiva. The appearance of the synagogue reflected this prominent status of the community, which can be today only imagined from the historical pictures preserved in the archives of the Jewish Museum in Budapest. The pictures depict the nine-bay sanctuary with a bimah in the center of the hall. The west façade was articulated as a representative neo-Classical front with massive portico and grand stairway access. The synagogue stood near the Poprad River, which provided fresh water for the ritual baths in the basement of the synagogue. The current appearance of the synagogue is a miserable torso; the building suffering a fire during World War II, was subsequently heavily altered into a storage hall.
 Images


 Back to search results
© 2009 SLOVAK JEWISH HERITAGE CENTER